Finance Minister D Jayakumar presented Tamil Nadu 2017 Budget in assembly.
Here are the highlights from TN Budget 2017
* No tax benefits included in budget due to the impending GST implementation.
* With the implementation of GST, TN stands to benefit, says finance minister Jayakumar.
* Revenue from taxation expected to be around Rs 99,590 crore.
Smart canes to be given to 10,000 blind people.
* Disability pension raised from Rs 1,000 to Rs 2,000.
* Rs 61 crore set aside for the sanitary napkin provision scheme.
* Modern residential school with hostel facilities for teachers will be set up in Javvadu hills for the benefit of tribal communities at a cost of Rs 24 crore.
* Rs 758 crore allotted for the free laptop scheme.
* Rs 1,503 crore allotted for free schemes extended to school going children.
* Rs 200 crore allotted to help 1 lakh women to purchase scooters at a subsidised rate.
* Number of PG medical seats raised from 1,188 to 1,362.
* Rs 352 crore allotted for improving schools infrastructure.
* Public health and family welfare gets 10,158 crore allotment.
* Old tenements constructed by the Tamil Nadu Slum Clearance Board will be reconstructed.
* 30 new Primary Health Centres to come up at a cost of Rs 43.76 crore.
* Rs 160 crore allotted to widen state Highways.
* Road infrastructure maintenance gets Rs 3,156 crore
* Green housing project gets Rs 420 crore to build 20,000 houses.
* Urban Swachh Bharat Mission gets Rs 600 crore allocation.
* Chennai Mega City development mission gets Rs 400 crore to finish infra projects undertaken by Greater Chennai Corporation.
* Sugarcane cultivation will be encouraged under the drip irrigation scheme.
* Medical Park to come up in Kanchipuram at a cost of Rs 130 crore.
* Rs 1 lakh per temple will be spent to renovate 1,000 rural area temples.
* Anna Daanam scheme started by Jayalalithaa will be continued in 265 temples
* Information Technology department gets Rs 116 crore.
* Transport department gets Rs 2,192 crore allocation.
* Rs 100 crore for Highways safety fund.
* Rs 300 crore allotted for Tamirabarani-Nambiyaaru river linking project.
* Rs 3,042 crore loan from World Bank will be used for conservation of various water bodies.
* Rs 300 crore allotted for the Kudi Maramathu project.
* Rs 22,394 crore allotted to government employees/pensioners welfare fund.
* BC/MBC welfare gets Rs 983 crore. Adi Dravida welfare ministry gets Rs 3,009 crore.
* Refugee welfare fund (Sri Lankan refugees) gets Rs 116 crore.
* The fiscal deficit for 2016-17 is Rs 61341.23 crore against Rs 40533.84 crore.
* Youth welfare and sports ministry gets Rs 165 crore.
* Environmental projects, like conservation of Pallikaranai marshland, to be undertaken from the Green Climate Fund.
* Rs 7,000 crore will be disbursed as crop loan through cooperative banks.
* Food allowance for hostel dwelling college students raised to Rs 1000 from Rs 875.
* Mookaiyur in Ramanathapuram district will get new fishing harbour.
* Fishing ban compensation raised to Rs 5,000.
* Animal husbandry department gets Rs 1,161 crore allocation.
* Madurai will get new Aavin milk production unit at cost of Rs 40 crore. The Madurai milk production unit will be exclusively for the production of flavoured milk under brand Aavin.
* 3.5 lakh plots of land will be given to economically weaker sections. Labour welfare department gets Rs 1,010 crore.
* Expenditure for 2016-17 has gone up from Rs 167493.27 to Rs 183745.03 crore.
* Police department gets Rs 1,483 crore allocation, prisons department gets Rs 282 crore.
* Tax revenue has gone down by Rs 3,000 crore this year.
* Rs 229 crore allotted to construct court complexes across TN.
* Rs 26,932 crore allotted for school education department. Higher education department gets Rs 3,680 crore.
* Rs 174 crore allotted to conduct local body elections across Tamil Nadu.
* Municipalities administration get Rs 13,996 crore.
* Rs 450 crore allotted for 3,000 more housing projects for Tamil Nadu police staffers.
* Handloom and Khadi department gets Rs 194 crore.
* Urban poverty alleviation schemes get Rs 272 crore.
* Rs 1,000 crore allotted for 100 days employment scheme in rural areas.
* Rs 615 crore allotted to meet drought situation.
* Commercial taxes revenue for TN in next fiscal would be Rs 77,234 crore.
* Finance minister D Jayakumar begins his budget speech in TN assembly.
* Tight security at Tamil Nadu Assembly premises in view of budget presentation, MLAs cars are not allowed to park inside the premises.
* Tamil Nadu finance minister D Jayakumar pays homage to Jayalalithaa at her memorial with budget papers.